Skip to main content

Why I'm Buying the OnePlus Five

Every iPhone release is followed quickly by a rage of articles by iFans who are sure it will be the best thing ever and iCynics who disagree. The number of articles by fans of other devices or device-makers pales by comparison. So I decided to write an article on why I'm excited by the just-announced OnePlus Five.
I rarely buy a new device before my old one dies. Not that I don't want to - I've seen all the new models at the Mobile World Congress most years, and love gadgets, but I rarely find it worth jumping to a new device, reinstalling all my apps and getting it just as I like it, just for minor improvements that don't change my experience much.
So why do I want the OnePlus Five when my current OnePlus Two works perfectly well? In honor of the OnePlus Five, I'm giving five reasons.

Reason one: RAM rules

I bought the OnePlus Two because it had 4gig of RAM when none of the other top phones did. In fact, it took the market leaders over a year to catch up. I am convinced that RAM makes more of a difference in my phone experience than anything else. The ability to react instantly, with lots of apps running, is due to RAM. The ability to perform well with many apps requiring constant background services, like messaging and calling apps, is due to RAM. RAM is more important than CPU or storage or any of the other things people look at.
The top smartphone makers are just now catching up with my OnePlus Two's 4gig of RAM. Phone sites don't even have the option for searching for phones with 8gig. So I want it. This is what will keep a phone zipping along for the next two years.

Reason two: Camera


I take a lot of pictures and videos, and in the past two years these have all been on my OnePlus Two. When I released 13 videos from the Mobile World Congress a few months ago, they were all shot on my OnePlus. Same with videos from the 2016 Indoor Location Testbed (videos from the 2017 testbed are coming soon). I need a phone with a camera that will work well, for professional use. The OnePlus Two's camera has been great, and the OnePlus Five is set to be even better, especially in low light.

While I'm at it, here's the morning scene from my hotel balcony in Barcelona.
Interestingly, the camera is one area where OnePlus seems to be innovating strongly. Their two cameras working together on the OnePlus Five is the best new idea I've seen in phone cameras in years. I look forward to it.

Reason three: Build Quality

Build Quality is a phrase you don't hear often enough in the phone industry. But it matters. Two phones can have the same specs, but one will last one year and one will last three. The reason is build quality.
My OnePlus Two has lasted me several years, and still runs great. 'Nuff said.

Reason four: Battery

These days, battery life is critical. How many of us can make it through a busy work day on a single charge? 3300 mAH and the ability to charge 50% in 30 minutes sounds great.

Reason five: Being part of a disruption

I think OnePlus is going to do disruptive things. To date their innovations have been in RAM and (hopefully) camera, along with direct to market sales and top quality at good prices. I expect they will have more disruptions to come.
Think about it. How many innovations have you seen in smartphones recently? Not enough. A bit bigger, a new CPU, a few more megapixels. But phones still work pretty similarly to how they worked 2-3 years ago.
A few years ago, at the Mobile World Congress, there were a number of small entrants in the smartphone industry that were trying to disrupt the market. There was a device with a camera that swiveled on a hinge. There was a device with an e-ink screen on the back. There were devices with offbeat shapes. None of these have really taken off. But OnePlus is succeeding at grabbing its niche, there trying to disrupt. I'm a fan. I think they will have great things to come.
Interested in more about OnePlus? If you click here on my referrer link, OnePlus will give you $20 off on accessories after you buy a phone. Or you can click here to see the OnePlus Five page with no referrer link.
Whether you agree with me or not, keep an eye on OnePlus. The features you see now are likely to be mainstream in 2 years. What will OnePlus be doing then? I look forward to seeing.

Popular posts from this blog

Sensor-fusion indoor location system in over 30 malls in Singapore

SingTel just deployed indoor mapping and navigation from Swedish start-up  SenionLab  in over 30 shopping malls in Singapore, with 20 more in planning, in the biggest single deployment we've seen yet of customized indoor location technology. The most significant aspect of this deployment is that this is one of the first commercial deployments of indoor location technology that uses a new technology approach called "sensor fusion," which uses sensors in smartphones (gyroscope, compass, accelerometer, ...) to track location by sensing the phone's movements. Most indoor location systems determine location by measuring the signals of nearby Wi-Fi hotspots or cellular antennas, but this risks looking choppy as the phone waits for the radio signals to change to detect the next place it is. Sensing motion using phone sensors makes the system work more smoothly, regardless of radio signal details.  (The SenionLab solution does use Wi-Fi signals as well, to compe...

See great indoor location tech from the 2017 testbed

The videos from the Indoor Location Testbed at GeoIoT World 2017 are now released! Here is your chance to see how these solutions performed in our real-world evaluation, in the videos below. The testbed evaluated each solution by walking around a real-world venue, the GeoIoT World 2017 conference, measuring performance at 10 pre-selected points. Click here for the testbed report, which analyzes each solution's performance in a wide variety of metrics, including real-time accuracy, accuracy stabilization, consistency, latency, floor change, first fix, setup time & more. Let's start with BlooLoc's tag-based solution, which achieved accuracy under 2m in real-time and under 1.5m after stabilization: Then let's look at the infrastructure-free solution from GipsTech , which achieved accuracy under 2m without using any beacons or radio signals: Next is GipsTech's solution with BLE added: Next is BlooLoc's phone-based solution: Fin...

Quuppa - The newest and oldest in indoor location positioning

Word is starting to get out about Quuppa , a company formed in September 2012 that's developing very high accuracy indoor positioning technology (HAIP).  To Quuppa, "high accuracy" means roughly 20cm.  Yes, 20cm. 8 inches. That's an order of magnitude better than the 4-5m accuracy that other start-ups are bringing to market, and two orders of magnitude better than the 15-20m accuracy that mass-market approaches like Google's are delivering. Update March 2015: See here for more up-to-date information on Quuppa. As of now this high level of accuracy is available only for tracking dedicated tags.  It won't be available for cellphones until some new Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) features become standard. (On cellphones they're working on other good, but not quite as accurate, positioning.)  But check out their demonstration - in this game of basketball, the players have tags on their shoes, and the ball has a tag inside. Pretty amazing for a company fou...